Monday, February 18, 2019

Alone Again, Unnaturally

It's not all about me. I get that different people have different concerns. I have actually expended a lot of energy trying to support other people and show my concern for the issues they care about, sometimes even when I didn't "feel" it deep in my heart. Just to be a good friend. I have spoken out and "liked" and commented with support many times - sometimes, I just did it because I know what it's like to feel like you're the only one who really cares about something that is REALLY important to you, so I wanted those other people to know that they were not alone.

But....and this is important....I had this strange notion that that concern would always be reciprocal. I thought that if I stood by others in their time of needing support, that I would receive support back when I was the one who was upset and hurting and needed "back-up". I never expect everyone to agree with my politics, but I figured if people are my friends, they would at least make an ATTEMPT to understand why I was so upset. I figured my friends had seen me speak out many times over the years about bigotry in all its forms, and they would know that, at the very least, I was "equal opportunity" in terms of calling out hatred. My record shows that. I have written songs about it, been vocal about it, and called out prejudice regardless of its source. If anyone needs proof of this, I would only be too happy to provide it.

This past week I did not hold back. I expressed some VERY upsetting feelings about my concerns about the rise of anti-Semitism. Thinking back to last year...when the Tree of Life shooting happened in Pittsburgh, everyone seemed very upset about anti-Semitism too. People changed their Facebook profile pictures to read "Together Against Anti-Semitism" and it was heartening to see. Everyone was on board, or so it seemed.

But the Pittsburgh shooter, as we found out, was seemingly (for the most part, I don't even think one can say this definitively, now that we have see how much the lines on this can blur) on the "Far Right" end of the political spectrum.

As it turns out, much of the hatred I have been talking about lately has occurred on the Far Left end of the political spectrum.

I guess that explains it then. Many people are "Together Against Anti-Semitism" unless the source of that anti-Semitism happens to come from the end of the political spectrum that they most identify with. Then....not so together, it would appear. And not so against, it would seem. And not so concerned.

Worst of all, I just feel flat-out abandoned by a lot of people. Jews and Non-Jews alike.

I know a lot of people just don't care, and that's fine. I guess. But I think, going forward, I will only show concern when I really care. I am kind of done backing up other people for their "issues" if they refuse to care when I am deeply hurt and upset and offended.

So...yeah....I bet this post gets a lot of likes on social media. I'm guessing 5 to 10, max.

No comments:

Post a Comment